Nicholas Mosher (1666-1747) and Elizabeth Audley (1669-1747)
Born and Raised in Massachusetts
Nicholas Mosher was born in 1666 in Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts. He was the son of Hugh Mosher and Rebecca Maxson.
Nicholas married Elizabeth Audley on 14 Aug 1687, probably in Dartmouth. She had been born in 1669 in Newport, Newport County, Rhode Island. She was the daughter of John Audley and Martha Holmes.
It is not known what Nicholas did for a living but his father had been both a preacher and a blacksmith. Perhaps Nicholas followed in his father’s footsteps.
Dartmouth, Bristol County, Massachusetts
First settled in 1652, Dartmouth (named after the town in England) was incorporated in 1664, just two years before Nicholas’s birth. The land was purchased with trading goods from the Wampanoag chiefs, Massasoit and Wamsutta, by elders of the Plymouth Colony. It was sold to the Religious Society of Friends (or Quakers), who wished to live outside the laws of the Puritans. There are still Quaker meeting houses in Dartmouth.
The land that is now Bristol County was part of the Plymouth Colony, but part of the county was divided to form Bristol County. Nicholas and Elizabeth would spend much of their lives in either Dartmouth, MA, or Tiverton, Rhode Island, in neighbouring Newport County.
Nicholas and Elizabeth lived in Dartmouth during the years that Elizabeth was giving birth to their ten children.
- Hugh b. 16 Nov 1690 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA and died BEF 1764/5 in Crum Elbow, Dutchess, New York. He married Sarah Davol 25 Apr 1717 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA.
- Joseph b. 7 Apr 1692 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. He married Methitable Smith 23 Oct 1718 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. She was born 3 Mar 1690/91 and died30 Jan 1766.
- Mary b. 16 Dec 1695 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. Married Philip Allen about 1715.
- Elizabeth b. 16 Apr 1697 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. Married Benoni Tripp 21 Nov 1728 in Little Compton, Rhode Island
- Thomas b. 16 Feb 1698 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died 1776 in Richmond, Rhode Island. Married Hannah Davol 9 Feb 1726/27 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. She was born 4 Apr 1707 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died after 1769.
- Nicholas b. 1 Jan 1703 in Dartmouth, Bristol, Massachusetts
- Mercy b. 6 Jul 1705 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died after 1747. She married Caleb Shrieve 24 Aug 1729. He was born 3 Mar 1706/07 in Little Compton, Rhode Island.
- Rebecca b. 20 Mar 1707 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA. Married John Wilcox 20 Sep 1729 in Little Compton, Rhode Island. He was born 22 Sep 1704.
- Ephraim b. 5 Mar 1709 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, d. An infant in 1710.
- Margaret b. 17 Jan 1712/13 in Dartmouth, Bristol, MA, and died After 11 May 1746 in Dartmouth, MA. Married William Taber 7 May 1732 in Tiverton, Rhode Island. He was born 18 Apr 1711 in Dartmouth, MA, and died after 14 Nov 1774.
A move to Tiverton, Rhode Island
After spending many years in Dartmouth, Nicholas and Elizabeth moved to Tiverton, Rhode Island, in Newport County. This is a small town not far from Dartmouth (Massachusetts) and an area that Nicholas was no doubt familiar with since his father had been minister of the Baptist Church there.
Nicholas died there on 14 Aug 1747. Elizabeth died just four months later on 29 Dec 1747. He was 81; she was 78. They had lived together as man and wife for 60 years.
This page written and researched by Susan Overturf Ingraham, wife of Robert Philip Ingraham, a descendant of Nicholas Mosher and Elizabeth Audley.