The Hatches

Editor's Note: When you see these three dots surrounded by a gray rectangle — 1 — you can click on it to get further information about the topic. Click a second time, and the message goes away.

Samuel Sheldon married Tryphenia Hatch in the 1820's. Unfortunately, both were destined to die young and their child would be raised by Tryphenia's parents, Zenas Hatch and Susanna Lewis. The Hatches went back seven generations:

Here is a short biography of these seven couples. Much of the information comes from Genealogy and History of the Hatch Family by the Hatch Genealogical Society, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1925.

THOMAS HATCH (bet 1598 and 1603-1661) and GRACE LEWIS (abt 1598-aft 1662)

Spelled Hatch, Hacche, or Hach, this surname is apparently derived from an Anglo-Saxon word, Hacche, which means a door or floodgate, stakes put up to catch fish, or a bar across a woodland path to stop deer. The first Hatches were established landowners in Devonshire, England. There appear to have been four distinct branches. One family are descendants of Thomas Hatch, whose only son was Jonathan. They were instrumental in settling both Yarmouth and Barnstable, Massachusetts.

There has been much confusion over the years when working with the Hatch genealogy because there were two Thomas Hatches, one from Scituate, the other an early proprietor of Dorchester, Massachusetts. The Thomas Hatch of this story is believed to be the latter one, the proprietor.

Here is what is known about Thomas and his wife, Grace, based on information from several sources, but primarily from New England: The Great Migration and the Great Migration Begins, 1620-1635:

JONATHAN HATCH (1625-1710) and SARAH ROWLEY (1625-1710)

Jonathan Hatch was born on 7 September 1625 in England. As a young boy of eight, he came to Massachusetts with his father, Thomas Hatch, in 1634. His mother and his younger sister, Lydia, were also with them.

At an early age, Jonathan was unwilling, it is said, to conform to the “restrictions of the intolerant age in which he lived.” His strong willed behaviour apparently became too much for his parents and, as it was common in those times, Jonathan was apprenticed at the age of 12 to Lt. Davenport of Salem, Massachusetts.

The discipline of a soldier would benefit him, they thought, but Jonathan did not like this discipline and after serving for two years, he deserted and went to Boston. Most likely he hoped to get to Yarmouth (where his father lived), but he was unsuccessful and wandered the streets instead. On 2 September 1640 “he was arrested as a fugitive from service and was censured to be severely whipped and ... [was] committed [as] a slave to Lt. Davenport.” But Jonathan did not wait for punishment. He ran away and this time managed to reach his father’s home in Yarmouth.

Jonathan would have been, by now, about 15 years old, and it is assumed his father took him in again. On 1 December 1640, he was arrested and charged with slandering Captain Nicholas Simpkins. Jonathan won his case, however, and Captain Simpkins was fined 40 shillings. However, Jonathan’s father moved to Barnstable in June 1641, and left Jonathan behind. He struggled to earn a living, but he was unable to gain employment. On 1 March 1642 he was “taken as a vagrant and for his misdemeanors was censured to be whipped” and it was ordered that he be returned (again) to Lt. Davenport. Jonathan refused to go, and said he would not stay if he were sent there. The sentence was reconsidered, and Jonathan was not sent back to Lt. Davenport.

The court appointed Mr. Stephen Hopkins as Jonathan’s protector, and for a while, Jonathan seemed to enjoy a stable situation. However, Mr. Hopkins died about two years later. Jonathan was now 19, more than old enough to take care of himself, and in 1645 he was one of four men who went on an expedition with other men from other towns to fight the Narragansett Indians.

Jonathan married Sarah Rowley, daughter of Henry Rowley and Sarah Palmer, on 11 April 1646 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. Sarah was born in 1626 in Nottinghamshire, England.

Jonathan and Sarah had the following children:

Jonathan continued to be a jack-of-all-trades — and also occasionally got into trouble. In 1651, he helped to build a road between Plymouth and Sandwich, but on 2 March 1652, he was charged with “furnishing an Indian with a gun, powder, and shot.”

On 7 October 1654, Jonathan finally achieved what he wanted: his own land and a log house. With his family, he moved to the southeast part of the town, known at that time as “Sepneset on ye South Sea” (Sepneset was the Indian name for the area.) Jonathan, his family, and many other residents of the area annually pickled barrells of oysters and sent them to market. In 1657, Jonathan took the oath of fidelity at the General Court for the colony of Plymouth. He was the head of his family and a taxpayer, so he was entitled to vote for Deputies and any other town business.

At that time, that part of the town was wilderness, inhabited only by Indians. There were no white settlers within several miles of Jonathan and his family for several years. He was friendly with the local Indian groups, traded with them and is said to have “treated them well.” But Jonathan grew to dislike the isolation. In 1659 he turned his attention to an area on the sea near Barnstable known as Succonnesett, meaning “place of the black clam shells.” Along with others, Jonathan moved his family there. He built his house near a narrow neck of land about a half mile southwest of the present village of Falmouth. Jonathan and Isaac were the first white settlers in the area, and Moses, Jonathan’s son, was the first white child born there. Jonathan extended his land holdings, including land that was given to him by an old Indian chief.

Meetings, including church meetings, were often held at Jonathan’s house. When Succonnesset was finally separated from Barnstable and given the name of Falmouth, the meeting was held at Jonathan Hatch’s house. Jonathan became very involved in the town affairs: determining the size of lots, attending sales of lands, and overseeing transfers of titles. On 24 June 1690 he took the Freeman’s oath and was admitted as a Freeman of the Colony at the County Court at Barnstable.

Before he died, Jonathan Hatch gave away all of his land to his children. Jonathan died on 10 December 1710 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. He was 84 years old. Sarah died just seven days later, on 17 Dec 1710, also in Falmouth. 2

JONATHAN HATCH JR. (1652 - 1696) and ABIGAIL WEEKS (1658 - 1696)

Jonathan Hatch Junior was born on 17 May 1652 in Barnstable, Barnstable, Massachusetts.

Captain Jonathan Hatch was a farmer and resided in Falmouth, Massachusetts all of his life. He was chosen ensign of the military company on 2 October 1689. On 24 June 1690, at the County Court, he took the freeman’s oath.

He married Abigail Weeks, daughter of Williams Weeks Sr. and sister of John and William Weeks of Falmouth, Massachusetts, on 4 September 1676 in Falmouth, Barn- stable, Massachusetts. Abigail had been born in 1658 in Dukes County, Massachusetts.

Jonathan and Abigail had the following children:

When Jonathan and Abigail died is not known, but it is assumed (obviously) that it was after 1696, the date of their last child’s birth.

NATHANIAL HATCH (1693-1748-50) and MARY WEEKS (1696-1750)

Nathanial Hatch was born on 30 July 1693 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts..

Nathanial married Mary Weeks 3, daughter of John and Mercy (Rowley) Weeks on 20 September 1714 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. Mary had been born on 3 September 1696.

Nathanial and Mary had the following children:

Nathanial died between 1748 and 1750 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. Mary died in about June 1750, also in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts.

DAVID HATCH (1725-1788) and MERCY TOBEY (1722-1778)

David Hatch was born on 10 November 1725 at Falmouth, Massachusetts. He married Mercy Tobey, daughter of Ebenezer Tobey and Mary, on 19 March 1749 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. Mercy had been born on 7 May 1720 in Falmouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts. She was the daughter of Ebenezer Tobey and Mary Hatch.

David and Mercy married on 19 March 1749-1750. They had the following children:

David is listed in Massachusetts Soldiers and Sailors in the Revolutionary War as having served in the Continental Army “with Col. Nathaniel Freeman’s regiment, dated Sandwich, June 10, 1771, a resident of Mashpee.” He was also engaged to protect the town of Falmouth. He was involved with three regiments: Captain Wadsworth’s company, Col. Bradford’s regiment and Captain Joseph Wadsworth’s company. He returned, dated Valley Forge, 28 January 1778. He also enlisted for the town of Sandwich for eight months. According to these records, his children are listed as: Keziah, Abel, Emma, Seth, Micah, Paul, Beulah, Mehitable, Mary, David, Grace, and Lydia. [It is not known why Michael and Micah are not on the list. Perhaps they were no longer dependent on their father.]

Mercy died in about 1774, and David took a second wife, Elizabeth Fuller, in about March of 1774. It is not known if they had any children together, but she would have definitely step-mothered some of David’s children from his first marriage.

David died in 1788 in Mashpee, Barnstable, Massachusetts. When he died, David Hatch III (his son) was the administrator of his estate and John Tobey was appointed guardian to five minor children; this would probably have been Lydia, age 16, and Grace, age 19. It might have also included Beulah, age 26, and Mehitable, age 23, if they were not yet married. Or there may have been younger children, born to his second wife, Elizabeth.

MICAH HATCH (1759-1842) and MARY LUMBERT (1769-1832)

Micah Hatch was born on 29 June 1759 in Barnstable County, Massachusetts, just three years before Massachusetts ratified its constitution and 17 years before the American Revolution. Barnstable County is known as the Cape Cod Region with Cape Cod Bay to the north and Nantucket sound to the south; the city of Barnstable is the county seat.

Micah was a veteran of the Revolutionary War. His pension is on file at Heritage Quest (Search for the Revolutionary War). He was a private in Captain Elisha Nye’s company. He enlisted 31 January 1776 and served until 21 November 1776 (9 mos 21 days). His company was stationed at Elizabeth Island for defense of the seacoast; the roll was sworn to in Barnstable County. In September 1778, he served for eight days on an alarm at Dartmouth and Falmouth with Captain Simeon Fish’s company.

Micah married Mary Lumbert, probably after the Revolutionary War and before 1783. Mary was born 7 February 1769; thus, she was ten years younger than Micah and certainly very young when she began bearing Micah’s children (if her birthdate is accurate, she would have been only 14 when their first child was born in 1783).

Their children were:

Micah can be found in the 1790 Census in Barnstable, but before 1800, he and Mary moved to Washington County, Vermont as they can be found in the 1800, 1810 and 1820 Censuses there.

Mary died on 17 December 1832, in Middlesex, Vermont. Micah followed ten years later, on 12 May 1842, also in Middlesex. They are both buried at the North Branch Cemetery, Middlesex, Washington, VT. On the next page is his tombstone with the DAR metal sign beside it, indicating that he was a Revolutionary War soldier.

ZENAS HATCH (1783-1877) and SUSANNA LEWIS (1788-1861)

Zenas Hatch was born 5 November 1783 in Barnstable County, Massachusetts. He was the eldest of eight children born to Micah and Mary (Lumbert) Hatch. In 1800, when Zenas was 17 years old he moved with his family to Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont.

Zenas married Susannah Lewis on 24 February 1805, in Middlesex, Washington, VT. Susannah had been born 23 April 1788 in Massachusetts. She was the daughter of Solomon Lewis and Susanna Linnell.

Solomon Lewis was born 10 April 1750 in Barnstable, MA, and died 16 Sept 1839 in Montpelier, Washington County, VT. Susanna Linnell was born in 1752. They were married on 24 September 1822 and are both buried in the North Branch Cemetery, Middlesex, Washington County, Vermont. The Linnell line began in the 1580’s in London, England, with Robert Linnell who married Peninah Howse. Robert and Peninah arrived in America in 1638 and, like the Hatches, originally settled in Massachusetts. Robert Linnell was Susanna’s great-great-great grandfather.

Zenas served in the military during the War against England in 1812, where he fought in the Battle of Plattsburgh. The British army under Lieutenant General Sir George Prevost and a naval squadron under Captain George Downie converged on the town of Plattsburgh which was defended by American troops under Brigadier General Alexander Macomb and ships commanded by Master Commandant Thomas MacDonough. Downie's squadron attacked shortly after dawn on 11 September 1814, but was defeated while Downie was killed. Prevost then abandoned the attack and retreated to Canada. The battle took place shortly before the signing of the Treaty of Ghent which ended the war.

Zenas and Susannah had the following seven children:

Zenas Hatch, with his wife Susanna and four young children (Seth, Zenas Jr, Tryphena and Temperance) started from Vermont to the Northwest Territory around 1815. They settled in Madison County, Ohio, for two years. In 1818 they moved to Bennington Township, Licking County, Ohio, where they remained for the rest of their lives.

The farm in Bennington Township was located six miles east of Croton and nine miles west of Utica. Zenas farmed this property for a short time and then moved to another farm not far away. They moved a total of seven times, but always remained in Bennington Township, Licking County.

Their daughter, Tryphenia, married Samuel Sheldon, in 1820. She gave birth to a son, whom she named Lewis William Sheldon, a few years later. Her husband died in 1830 and Tryphenia returned from Virginia with her young six year-old son. Just one year later, in 1831, she was dead, and Zenas and Susannah took over the responsibility of raising their grandson, Lewis William Sheldon.

Susanna Lewis Hatch died, at the age of 73, on 29 September 1861 in Licking County, Ohio. Her husband, Zenas, survived 16 years. He died 2 January 1877, also in Licking County. They are both buried in the Homer Cemetery, Burlington Township, Licking County, Ohio.

Zenas Hatch can be found in the 1810 Census for Middlesex, Chittenden, Vermont, on page 341. Michael Hatch, Solomon Lewis and William Lewis are on the same page. He can also be found in the 1820 Census for Jefferson Township, Madison County, Ohio, page 74. For 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, and 1870 Censuses he is living in Licking County, Ohio. He is also in the Licking County, Ohio death Records, Book 1, A-K, 1874-1882, Registered in Probate Court Office. He was 93 years old. Susannah's tombstone is at the left; it was broken in half. Zenas's tombstone is at the right.

This page written and researched by Susan Overturf Ingraham, a descendant of these Hatches. Page last updated July 23, 2019.

Return to Table of Contents for Exploring Ancestral Roots: Overturfs, Hansens, McDonalds and Mahoneys

★ ★ ★

  1. These three dots behave exactly like a footnote. Click on them and you will get more information about the topic. 

  2. Photo of tombstone supplied by Brian Nickerson in 2008. 

  3. Mary's name is sometimes seen as Mariah or Mercy. Her last name is seen as Weeks and Weekes. 

  4. For more about Tryphenia's life, click on her name.